The Big Squeeze – Making Lemonade Out of Lemons!
When Life Gives You Lemons…..You Make Lemonade!!
The past several months have been difficult for our Yukon community, and the charitable sector will feel the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic for several years.
But good things have happened too!
At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Yukon we have been able to see the true impact of our mentoring programs for Yukon youth. Over the past several months we have:
- Provided ideas, conversation starters (Describe your perfect day!) and support for all of our matches as they maintained ‘digital nearness’ during ‘physical distancing’
- Seen how creative our Bigs and Littles have been to keep connected, from making a mail box to put surprises in for each other to making creative projects while video chatting
- Celebrated students and graduates through our Bake for Kids Sake fundraiser, recognizing the hard work that students have done in these unusual times
- Coordinated the Pan Pals Project with Volunteer Bénévoles Yukon to encourage community members, especially young people, to write letters to folks in Yukon’s care centres. Over 150 pieces of correspondence have been circulated over three months!
Even though we have been as busy as ever, we have not been able to hold our annual fundraisers, including The Big Squeeze Lemonade Stand Competition. What this means is that the important developmental relationships our mentoring programs provide are in jeopardy of not being sustainable next year. But we can change that with your help.
On Wednesday, August 5 – the day The Big Squeeze was scheduled – we encourage you to ask friends, family, customers, clients and all Yukoners to make a donation to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Yukon. Folks can donate cash at your location or make a donation through our website: https://yukon.bigbrothersbigsisters.ca/donate/
As we are making ‘lemonade out of lemons’, here are some ways to promote this day of giving:
- Share our social media posts on Facebook
- Share your own posts on social media, tagging us so we can also share
- Share a favourite lemonade recipe with your customers
- Decorate your place of business
- Share a special lemonade inspired treat with co-workers, friends and family
- Anything that you feel inspired to do!
Given the current situation, we are not doing any prizes, but really appreciate every dollar that is raised for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Yukon. We are not able to do the work we do without our supportive community. You are our village and it takes a village to raise Yukon kids!
With immense gratitude,
The BBBSY Team